News

PSNI chief apologises to Omagh families for non-attendance at bomb memorial event

Thursday, 24 August 2017

THE PSNI Chief Constable George Hamilton has said the absence of a PSNI representative at the recent memorial event to mark the 19th anniversary of the Omagh bomb was not connected to a writ issued by families against him, but was down to confusion around invitations.

He made his remarks when he apologised to families for the force's non-attendance on the occasion. Michael Gallagher, whose son Aiden was killed in the 1998 atrocity, said he accepted the Chief Constable's apology and was glad to have 'cleared the air'.

The PSNI's non-attendance was met locally with disappointment and regret. One former officer raised questions of a police force that could send officers to the Pride Festival in Belfast, but not a memorial for the single biggest atrocity of the Troubles.

It was understood to be the first time in 19 years the PSNI had not sent a representative and came days after Omagh families had issued a writ against the Chief Constable for failings in the Omagh bomb investigation.

After seeking clarification on why police had not attended the service, Chief Constable Hamilton responded by apologising to Omagh families and offered an explanation for their absence at the 19th annual event.

 

"I have the utmost respect for the Omagh families and would never seek to cause offence or be dismissive of their grief and pain and if the PSNI's non-attendance at the event seems disrespectful, I apologise for that. It is unfortunate that there appears to have been some confusion around invitations. I can confirm that local District police have received formal invitations to the event in the past, but no formal invitation was received this year. I can also confirm that other stakeholders within government did receive a formal invitation this year.

"PSNI not being represented at the event is not connected with, or in response to, the writ issued against me by Mr Gallagher and some of the Omagh families. That matter will be dealt with in due course through legal process," he said.

Mr Gallagher accepted the apology and said when planning next year's 20th anniversary service he would take on board the chief constable's comments.

"We hope to build on this. We have formed a committee to prepare for the 20th anniversary and we will factor in what the PSNI have said and make sure formal invites are sent to the PSNI, fire service and ambulance service among others."

He added the only formal invitations sent to this year's event were to the NIO and the Irish Foreign Affairs department. He said police would have been aware of the event, as they had been notified about it for traffic purposes.

"It would be so difficult to send out formal invites when we want to make it open to everyone," he said.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete