Clarke still yearning for first league win

Thursday, 7 September 2017

Clarke still yearning for first league win thumbnailDergview's Ryan Campbell goes to ground under a challenge.

DERGVIEW boss Richard Clarke is still searching for that first win in Championship One after being held to a second consecutive draw on Saturday, but he is confident that his side are moving in the right direction and that a victory is around the corner.

Dergview ...1
HW Welders ...1

For the second week in a row Dergview missed a late penalty to clinch the three points, and had to settle for a 1-1 with HW Welders at Darragh Park.

"Probably in the end a draw was a fair result. I'm wee bit disappointed just with the late penalty and we should have went and won the match.

"We've ended up with draws in two matches that we could have won. But we're going in the right direction."

Had the spot kicks have went in, Dergview would be on six points rather than two, and in a more attractive spot in the league standings.

"It makes a big difference when you look at the table, even confidence-wise for the players. These things happen though, penalties can be missed. We're just going to have to work through this wee period and hopefully the results will turn into wins.

"I've seen massive improvement over the last few weeks, and we are starting to get a lot of boys back from injuries. Aaron Arkinson missed all of pre-season and he came on and played really well, which was a real positive.

"Once we have boys back available and pushing each other on, it will help to bring the results as well. We have a lot of new players in, and young boys have had to step up a level for a for experienced players who have gone.

"There's no easy matches in the league so I get the feeling that if we get that first win, it will set us off."

Dergview had made the perfect start to the game when Simon McGlynn opened the scoring in the fourth minute. Richard Lynch whipped over an in-swinging cross from the left which the ex-Finn Harps winger controlled and prodded past Craughwell at the second attempt.

The visitors came into the game thereafter and had the better of things for the remainder of the half, though Dergview could have went in at the break two up. A perfectly-weighted through ball by Adam Buchanan sent Campbell galloping clear to round the 'keeper, but the striker elected to shoot from an acute angle instead of squaring to the unmarked Godfrey and his effort was blocked on the line.

Welders got their equaliser in the 72nd minute when David Graham sent the overlapping William Armstrong galloping clear on the left and he picked out fellow substitute McMillan with a peach of a first-time cross to head home.

With minutes left though, Dergview were awarded their golden opportunity when Campbell was taken down in the box, but Craughwell saved Garth Falconer's spot-kick and was relieved when the taker was then penalised as he forced the ball home on the rebound. Bother sides had further chances right at the death but the game ended all square.

Dergview: McCusker, Patterson (Porter 32), Wray, McNulty, Falconer, Lynch, M Buchanan, A Buchanan (McCorkell 79), Campbell Godfrey, McGlynn (Arkinson 76).

Sub not used: Taylor, Callaghan.

HW Welders: Craughwell, Boyd, Nelson (Armstrong 64), Spence (McMillan 34), McMurray (Middleton 85), Harris, Deans, Graham, Gwiazda, Arthurs; Rainey.

Subs not used: Bonner, Malone.

Referee: Oisin Mahon


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete