Nine goal Kesh crush Killen as Strule push on.

Thursday, 15 February 2018

Nine goal Kesh crush Killen as Strule push on. thumbnailStrule United's Kevin McSorley was on the score-sheet against Ardstraw Reserves.

NFC Kesh extended their lead at the top of Division One with a resounding 9-0 win over Killen Rangers at Connolly Park, with Mark Jones bagging four.

NFC Kesh ...9
Killen Rangers ...0

With the majority of Fermanagh and Western games across the region called off due to the adverse weather, the go-ahead at Kesh gave the home side the chance to build on last week's important win over league champions Strathroy Harps, and they displayed their attacking power despite missing a number of key players.

Their first chance after five minutes when Jones stung the palms of David Ward from the edge of the box. On 16 minutes the hosts would get off the mark though when Jones and Josh Flack linked up for the former to be put through to blast past Ward. On 27 minutes it was 2-0 up when Clint Thompson converted from a corner.

Killen then went close when Trevor Irwin headed over from a Graham Young cross. At the other end Josh Flack was thwarted from a brilliant Ward save when his deflected shot looked destined for the net.

Scott and Jamie Sproule both then put over from decent chances for Rangers but the Kesh defence were largely untroubled.

On 43 minutes a deep Lee Walker corner was helped back across the box by Mark McCauley and Thompson was again there to finish for 3-0, then a minute later it was four when McCauley deftly flicked a Walker free kick into the bottom corner.

In the second half Kesh kept up the intensity and began mounting attack after attack. Jones' grabbed his second, a team move with McCauley going through on the left and finding the killer ball to the unmarked Jones at the back post to score.

The hotshot then got his hat trick after 65 minutes when he was put through by his strike partner Flack and coolly placed past Ward.

Five minutes Thompson had the chance to notch a hat-trick of his own from the penalty spot but he fluffed his lines and Ward palmed out.

On 77 minutes Flack got the goal his performance deserved when he recovered from a stumble over the Killen keeper to prod in just in time before the onrushing defender.

With ten minutes left, Kesh weren't done yet.

Walker drove through the middle and played Jones in who dinked a clever finish across Ward and in off the post. The final goal of the day came from the penalty spot when Jones went down in the box, and Walker stepped up to it send Ward the wrong way and wrap up a very impressive win for the league leaders.


Enniskillen Town United ...4

The only other game in the top flight to go ahead was at the Lakeland Forum, where Enniskillen Town United defeated Magheraveely 4-1.

After weathering the initial storm from Town, Gregory Johnston put through a great ball to Alan Gregg who held off two defenders before blasting past the keeper to put Magheraveely 1-0 up.

20 seconds later though it was all square when Frank Wallace got on the end of a long ball over the top and finished it into the bottom corner.

Two minutes after that it was 2-1 to Town, this time Gary Stewart pouncing on a mistake in Magheraveely defence and racing through to score.

Wardman in the Town goal pulled off a double save from Alan Gregg' s shot and Warren Stewart's follow up to keep the hosts in the lead, and just before half time they doubled the gap when Gary Stewart showed good strength and composure to extend Town's lead.

In the second half, the visitors were much improved but were unable to beat Wardman in the Town goal.

The hosts were always a threat on the counter attack, and Frank Wallace hitting the post before former Lisnaskea Rovers forward Brian McDermott opened his account for Town following his recent transfer to make it 4-1 five minutes from time.

Strule United 3 Ardstraw Reserves 0 Strule nited collected another valuable three points with a 3-0 win over Ardstraw Reserves at Donnelly's Holm.

The win keeps Strule eight clear at the top of Division Two and their quest for promotion continues to go to plan.

The hosts controlled the game from the start Daniel Parkinson struck to give them a 1-0 lead to take into the break.

Two quick second half goals ended the game as a contest, first from Kevin McSorley heading in before turning provider for the third, slotting a great ball through to Aidy Kelly who took it well and drove the ball home.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete