Rocket hat-trick gives Dergview back to back wins.

Thursday, 1 March 2018

Rocket hat-trick gives Dergview back to back wins. thumbnailDergview's Adam Dougherty battles for possession.

RYAN Campbell's hat-trick paved the way for a second win on the trot for relegation battling Dergview over Limavady United at Darragh Park on Saturday.


Peter Allen's men raced into a 3-0 lead before halftime courtesy of 'Rocket's treble, but Zach Barr and Lee Harkin' goals came too late in the day for a Roesiders' comeback.

Dergview got going as early as the fourth minute, when Limavady defender Johnny Watt gave away possession and Gareth Falconer seized his chance to cross the ball for Campbell to score from inside the box with the visitors' defence all at sea.

It should have been 2-0 four minutes later, when Falconer strolled into the box and headed straight at Paul Wells.

On 11 minutes, Dergview found themselves in a three-on-two break but Dougherty couldn't capitalise and skied his effort.

The pressure didn't let up and the hosts scored again on 22 minutes when a long range free kick was scooped up into the air by Wells, and Campbell was first to react to the loose ball, with the veteran goal poacher stroking the ball under the keeper.

United eventually fashioned a chance on 26 minutes when Owens got to the by-line and cut the ball back but Gillan could not find the target.

McCready then had an effort that went over the bar and Canning crossed into the box for Gillan, but he hooked the volley over.

Falconer was getting forward at will, and he sent a long cross field ball to Dougherty whose shot was off target.

On 44 minutes Campbell was gifted his hat trick when a clearance was sliced to him, and he gleefully slammed the ball home.

The visitors changed things around at half time, however Campbell was on the hunt for goal number four and he missed a good chance in the 47th minute, heading over inside the six yard box when unmarked.

All United could muster in their fight back were a long range effort from Carlin on 52 minutes, and a weak header from the same player nine minutes later.

In the 67th minute he had another chance, turning Graham Crown inside and out before blazing over, and in the next minute United were grateful to Wells for a point blank reaction block with his leg as the Derg striker was unmarked at the back post.

United had another let off on 75 minutes as Adam Dougherty smacked an effort of the stanchion.

In the 83rd minute the Limavady fightback began, when a Bradley corner fell to Barr just outside the box, and he fired home through a crowd of players.

United scored again on 88 minutes, as Harkin scored with a dipping free kick from almost the half way line deceiving Alan Buchanan.

Alas there would be no equaliser, and Dergview held on for a deserved three points.

Dergview: Alan Buchanan, Graeme Taylor, Mark Buchanan, Lee McNulty, Thomas Wray (c), Matthew Callaghan, Blaine Burns, Aaron Arkinson (Dwayne McManus 76), Garth Falconer, Adam Dougherty (Philip Wallace 85), Ryan Campbell (Adam Buchanan 88).

Substitutes not used: Dale Maxwell.

Limavady United: Paul Wells, Andy Devlin, Aaron Callan, Johnny Watt, Graham Crown, Hugh Carlin (c), Connor McCloskey (Lee Harkin h-t), Paul Owens (Zach Barr h-t), Joe McCready, Ryan Logue (Joel Bradley 76).

Substitutes not used: Declan McKeever, Stuart McMullan.

Referee: Diarmuid Harrigan.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete