Harps unable to prevent Athletic clinching youth double

Thursday, 17 May 2018

Harps unable to prevent Athletic clinching youth double thumbnail Enniskillen Athletic captain Colm McNally with the Lowry-Corry Cup.

ENNISKILLEN Athletic completed the league and cup double within the Fermanagh and Western Football League youth section following a 3-1 win over Strathroy Harps in the Lowry-Corry Cup final at Ferney Park last Tuesday evening.


The first opportunity of the game came in the first minute when Strathroy's Callum Leonard fired a volley wide from the edge of the box, but thereafter Athletic began to apply the pressure, and they took the lead in the 13th minute.

A lofty shot from Glenn Tracey proved too high for Harps keeper Mark Gilloway,who at full stretch ended up dropping the ball behind him into the net.

On 20 minutes Harps came close to levelling matter when Andrew McDaid tried his luck from 30 yards only to see his strike cannon off the cross bar. Five minutes later the bar was rattled again, when Nathan McNamee's free-kick struck the woodwork from even further out.

Enniskillen though were creating a few openings at the other end and on 36 minutes they doubled their advantage when Patrick Heaney's free-kick delivery fell loose to Jake Smith, who calmly picked his spot and slotted into the bottom corner throw a crowded penalty box.

After halftime, Athletic were looking the more likely to grab the next goal of the game. Nathan McAdam miscued a volley wide before Luke Flanagan's fine turn and strike on the end of a breakaway move was thwarted by Gilloway.

On the 62nd minute though the third goal came for the Fermanagh men Conor Burns swiung a cross into the back post and McAdam was on hand to guide in a header Athe crossbar prevent a fourth for Athletic, when Smith did well to find Tracey but his effort came back out.

Strathroy were still trying to get back in the game, and after seeing a goal ruled out for offside, they pulled one back when Cainan Quinn slipped a pass through to Eoin Gallagher, who lifted the ball past Enniskillen goalie Mark Landers. Gilloway had previously pulled off point blank saves against Flanagan and Smith.

A late comeback was never really on the cards for Strathroy though, with Landers clawing away a McNamee cross in the final moments, and Enniskillen ran out 3-1 winners.

Enniskillen Athletic: Mark Landers, Conor Burns, Patrick Heaney ( Aaron Jones 68'), Fionn Nolan, Conor McAloon, Colm McNally, Glenn Tracey (Dylan Kerrigan 16'), Frank Rafferty, Luke Flanagan (Shay Conway 77'), Jake Smith (Maciej Stankeiwicz 77'), Nathan McAdam.

Strathroy Harps: Mark Gilloway, Jake Heaney (Wojciech Pabjan 76'), Nathan McNamee, Emmet McArdle, Cormac Corry, Callum Leonard (Ben Bresanahan 41'), Manus Morrow (Bartosz Bronisz 73'), Andrew McDaid, Eoin Gallagher, Eoghan McNamee, Cainan Quinn.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete