Thursday, 17 May 2018

TUMMERY ARE CHAMPIONS thumbnailTummery Athletic celebrate winning the Mulhern Cup following their 2-0 win over Enniskillen Town United at Ferney Park, Ballinamallard.

HAVING won the Mulhern Cup as a player, Benny McElholm is now able to add the honour to his managerial record as his Tummery Athletic team clinched the silverware following a 2-0 extra-time win over Enniskillen Town United under the bright lights of Ferney Park on Friday night.

His first title as a manager, McElholm was quick to heap praise on his players as they ultimately prevailed over a tense 110 minutes of football.

Delighted for the players and everyone at the club, from committee members right through to the youth set-up. They've all been absolutely brilliant for the club.

"I set my stall out in February to win this cup, and we've finally done it.

But full credit to the players, their attitude was magnificent."

Both teams enjoyed periods of dominance in the game, Tummery in the first half and Town in the second, but the loss of influential centre-half Nicky Dunbar for Enniskillen after a sending-off in the final 10 minutes gave McElholm's men the impetus to heap the pressure on in extra-time.

The decisive goals eventually arrived from Ruairi Sludden and then Emmett McNabb to put Tummery's name on the cup.

"I told the boys to just keep possession. Use your pace and use the pitch from left to right. Make them work as hard as they can. Obviously it showed as they ran out of gas a bit and we created that opportunity.

"It could have went either way on the night. It was a tough second half, we put a lot of energy into the first half and created a few chances, but just couldn't get that first goal.

Fair play to Town, they were good finalists and really put it up to us in the second half and made life difficult.

"I think the sending off was a big part of the game, and from when we got that first goal we were always going to push on and get that second.

It was tight going for a long time though.

"It was a testament to the two teams, it was a battling match. We controlled the first half but they came back into it and took over possession, and we were backs against the wall for about 25 minutes. We showed our character though and full credit to the players, they deserve everything they've got tonight."

Full coverage and photos in the Tyrone Constitution Newspaper


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete