Strathroy on course for Mulhern three-in-a-row

Thursday, 4 May 2017

Strathroy on course for Mulhern three-in-a-row thumbnailStrathroy’s Darren Teague in possession against Enniskillen Athletic’s Neil McDermott.

HOLDERS Strathroy Harps are on course for a third consecutive Mulhern Cup crown after a routine 3-0 semi-final win over Enniskillen Athletic at Ferney Park on Thursday night.

Strathroy Harps ...3
Enniskillen Athletic...0

Goals from Patrick Nugent, Aidy McCaffrey and Tommy Murphy sealed the win for Seamus Fanthorpe's men, who were able to see out the win with relative ease after Athletic had Neil McDermott sent off with half an hour remaining.

The first sniff of goal fell to Harps when Nugent almost ghosted in after six minutes. Several minutes later, Murphy picked up a loose ball in the box from McCaffrey, and from a tight angle the striker opted to shoot for goal, only to hit the side netting.

Athletic were trying to get a handle on the game, and on 20 minutes McDermott had their first pop at goal, his shot being easily handled by Tim Harney.

Then just before the half hour mark Harps struck for their first goal. McCaffrey's teasing delivery from the right wing was flicked goal-wards by Darren Teague, and Nugent finished the ball to the net in a flash.

Paul Crane looked to get Enniskillen back in the game soon after but his shot from distance blazed over the bar. At the other end, Nugent found an opening for Harps but his effort skewed to the left and wide. Just before the interval, an Athletic free kick was worked to Brian Owens on the right wing, but his dangerous cross found no-one.

Five minutes of the second half had passed before Harps doubled their lead. Neat build-up play between Kevin and Mark Sloan saw the latter deliver a quality cross from the right wing for Murphy to rise up ahead of Athletic keeper Ryan McNulty and thump home the header.

That goal put the Omagh side firmly in then ascendancy, and their steady stream of attacks had Enniskillen well under the cosh. A rash challenge from Dermot Lewsley on Murphy warranted a yellow card and a free kick in McCaffrey territory, to which the Harps attacker stepped up and curled beautifully into the far corner for 3-0 after 55 minutes.

Things went from bad to worse for Athletic five minutes later when McDermott was given his marching orders following a reckless tackle on Teague. The Strathroy winger made way for Cathal Taggart soon after.

Simon O'Neill saw his glancing header came off the post as Harps' firm grip on the game continued. Enniskillen had a brief moment in the Harps box soon after, but substitute Stephen Curley couldn't connect with the loose ball.

At the other end, Murphy's shot from the edge of the box was parried out by McNulty, and left-back Sean McCrory couldn't force in the rebound.

Into the final ten minutes of the game and the ten men of Enniskillen were still trying, and Ryan Finch's effort from range swerved wide of Tim Harney's left hand post.

But it was job done for Strathroy, who will set about the challenge of Beragh Swifts in the decider on May 12.

Strathroy Harps: Tim Harney, Martin Flanagan, Sean McCrory, Michael Logue, Simon O'Neill, Kevin Sloan, Mark Sloan, Patrick Nugent, Tommy Murphy (McCullagh 73), Aidy McCaffrey (Quinn 69), Darren Teague (Taggart 63):

Subs not used: Tomasz Antzcak

Enniskillen Athletic: Ryan McNulty, Brian Owens, Ruairi Leonard, Aaron Nolan (Paudric Beacom 86), Dermot Lewsley, Daniel Goan, Paul Crane, Neil McDermott, Ryan Finch, John Joe Strain (Ryan Williams 88), Gavin Greene (Stephen Curley 59).

Subs not used: Fionn Nolan, Kyle Doherty, Anthony Fitzpatrick

Referee: Luke Henderson (Trillick)


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete