St Enda's fight back to earn draw

Thursday, 11 May 2017

Edendork 3-8 Omagh 1-14

CONOR Meyler came to Omagh's rescue with a stoppage time equaliser at Edendork.
The St Enda's twice led by five points, and looked set to take control, but they were knocked back by three goals, two of them scored by Tyrone attacker Darren McCurry.
So, for the second game in a row, Omagh have salvaged a share of the spoils with a late leveller.
Omagh got off to a perfect start with a goal inside the opening three minutes. Meyler found Conor Clarke with a quickly taken free, and the midfielder burst through to bury his shot in the net.
The visitors continued to dominate the early exchanges, with Meyler, Barry Tierney and Ciaran McLaughlin pressing from the back, and Conor O'Donnell testing the home defence with his pace and movement.
O'Donnell and Michael Flanagan slotted over points to put them five clear, and it wasn't until the 12th minute that Niall Morgan opened Edendork's account when he converted '45.
The St Malachy's were soon in charge of the contest, and in the 16th minute McCurry smashed home a terrific goal from 15 yards which flew past Niall McGinn.
Another counter-attack ended with Stephen Gervin's shot being deflected out for a '45, and this time it was McCurry who sent the kick between the posts.
O'Donnell ended an 18-minute scoreless spell for Omagh, but McCurry's point sent the home side in with a 1-4 to 1-3 advantage.
Omagh were back in front inside two minutes of the restart, thanks to points from O'Donnell and O'Neill, but again, Edendork countered to grab a second McCurry goal.
But Omagh's response was emphatic, as they sent over a string of points, seven on the spin in the space of ten minutes.
Ronan O'Neill, O'Donnell, Cathal McCarron, Tierney and Thomas Clarke were all on target, with Meyler, Turlough Gallagher and Ciaran McLaughlin all prominent as they mounted constant pressure.
But another Edendork comeback was on the way, and they plundered another goal, McCurry making the blistering run through the middle, before slipping the ball to Stephen Gervin for a fisted finish to the net.
They added points through Morgan and McCurry, before the latter knocked over the lead point from a free in stoppage time.
But there was still time for Omagh to salvage a point, and Meyper popped up to curl over a last gasp leveller.
Edendork scorers: Darren McCurry 2-4 (0-1 free, 0-1 '45), Stephen Gervin 1-0, Niall Morgan 0-3 (1 free, 1 '45), Conor Mallon 0-1.
Omagh scorers: Conor Clarke 1-1, Conor O'Donnell 0-5 (1 free), Ronan O'Neill 0-2 (1 free), Cathal McCarron, Cormac O'Neill, Thomas Clarke, Conor Meyler, Barry Tierney, Michael Flanagan 0-1 each.
Edendork: Mark McReynolds; Lorcan Conlon, Thomas Lowe, Conor Mallon; Padraig Donnelly, Donal Maneely, Stephen Corr; Conn Kilpatrick, Niall Morgan; Christopher McCurry, Darren McCurry, Jake Ferguson; Sean Donnelly, Stephen Gervin, Daire Conway.
Subs: Aaron Donnelly for Corr, Ryan McCurry for Conway, Corr for A Donnelly.
Omagh: Niall McGinn; Gregory Murray, Hugh Gallagher, Ciaran McLaughlin; Michael Flanagan, Barry Tierney, Conor Meyler; Turlough Gallagher, Conor Clarke; Thomas Clarke, Ronan O'Neill, Rory McBride; Cormac O'Neill, Cathal McCarron, Conor O'Donnell.
Referee: Paul Gallagher (Castlederg).


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete