Strong start for Swifts

Thursday, 24 August 2017

Strong start for Swifts thumbnailBeragh goal-scorer Jason Aiken is challaneged by Mountjoy’s John Edgar.

BERAGH Swifts got their season up and running in fine fashion with a comfortable 4-1 win over rivals Mountjoy United at a resplendent Fountain Lane on Saturday afternoon.

Beragh Swifts...4
Mountjoy United...1

Defensive lapses from the visitors allowed Beragh to come from a goal behind to seal the win and claim the spoils in this local derby match.

The first chance fell to Swifts with Craig Breen dragging a shot narrowly wide after an evenly contested first 15 minutes. At the other end, Luke Henderson managed to clear a dangerous Lee Frazer cross away from danger as the visitors made a good start to life in Division One.

Mountjoy soon had the ball in the net when David Baxter squared the ball for John Edgar to finish to the net, but it was ruled out for offside.

A carbon copy of that move though would give David Gilfillan's side the initiative moments later, this time Edgar timing his run perfectly to arrive on Baxter's ball and slot home past Jordan Newell.

Beragh replied with pressure, and a speculative Kyle McKane effort cleared the cross-bar from considerable distance. On 26 minutes the game was level when a mix-up in the Mountjoy defence allowed Ryan Burke the opportunity to stroke home from the edge of the box.

Ten minutes later, the hosts took the lead when McKane's free kick from the left found it's way to Jason Aiken who finished well.

With more tempo to the game, Mountjoy came back, and they had a great chance to pull level but defender Andrew McDonald directed his header wide.

Craig Breen's acrobatic effort was the last chance of the half before referee Declan Grimes blew for half-time.

In the second period, Beragh began to dominate the possession stakes, and some slick passing played in Breen who rounded 'Joy keeper John Long, but the Swifts winger couldn't cut the ball back to a team-mate.

After mounting pressure yielded a Beragh corner on 72 minutes, Kyle McKane stepped up to whip in a delivery that outfoxed Long and ended up in the Mountjoy net. Three minutes later the game was wrapped up as Breen controlled Michael Brown's cross in the box and fired in from close range for 4-1.

Mountjoy did test the goal several times at the end of the game, with Stephen Montgomery flashing a half volley wide, but by that stage it was job done for Beragh.

The win did come at a cost though for Keith Hamilton's men, as Chris Leatheret and McKane both had to come off with nasty injuries


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete