Two out of two for Harps

Thursday, 31 August 2017

Two out of two for Harps thumbnailDarren Teague on the ball for Strathroy Harps.

BERAGH Swifts unable to get the better of reigning champions Strathroy Harps Harps at Omagh Leisure Complex on Saturday as a 2-1 win gave the Omagh men the three points.


Strathroy Harps...2
Beragh Swifts...1

Both teams picked up wins on the opening day, with Swifts winning 4-1 at home to newly-promoted Mountjoy United, and Harps hitting Lisnaskea Rovers for nine goals.

Swifts almost grabbed the leasd early doors when Jamie McKeown's effort flashed wide, before Patrick Nugent went close at the other end for Harps.

The hosts took the lead in the 14 minute when Aidy McCaffrey was felled by by Ryan Weir on the edge of the box and the same player stepped up to confidently fire the ball into the bottom left corner, sending Jordan Newell the wrong way.

Harps sub Damon Teague cracked the post from 25 yards, while McCaffrey had two efforts to extend the lead thwarted by Newell.

Strathroy got their second though at the very end of the half when defender Benny Boyle rose unmarked at the back post to head home a McCaffrey delivery.

Into the second half and Beragh had an appeal for a penalty turned down after claims that Ryan Burke's cross was handled by Sean McRory were waved away.

They were back in the game soon after though when Craig Breen's free-kick took a touch off a Harps' man and ended up in the bottom corner. Swifts were sensing an equaliser, and Michael Brown's had a dangerous half-volley gathered by Niall McCrory.

Both sides traded chances before the end before Harps nearly sealed the game through Tony Quinn but the striker's lob landed over the bar.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete