First wins for Mountjoy and Killen

Thursday, 7 September 2017

First wins for Mountjoy and Killen thumbnailMountjoy's Timothy Gallagher wins the aerial ball.

MOUNTJOY United got their first win of the league with a 3-2 home win over Magheraveely.

Andrew Gilfillan gave the host a 2-0 lead in the first half early on, first reacting to a loose ball to fire home before collecting a long ball from Montgomery and slotting past the Magheraveely keeper for goal number two.

Warren Stewart halved the deficit just before the break, but the two-goal cushion was restored in the second period when Stuart Graham's cross was turned into the net by a Magheraveely defender.

The visitors were then awarded a penalty after a handball ten minutes from time, and Craig Johnston stepped up to score to set up a dramatic finale to the game. Niall Wallace thought he had earned a point for Magheraveely, but his late equaliser was ruled out for offside and Mountjoy held out for the victory.

Killen Rangers also got their first points on the board with a 3-2 away win over Beragh Swifts. The North Tyrone men had to come from two top down to seal the points, with Marc Flanagan's floating free-kick deceiving Jordan Newell in the Beragh goals for the winner

Beragh were depleted in the midfield department with Collie Adams, Craig Breen and Chris Leatheret all absent, and they almost fell behind early doors when Graham Young missed a penalty in the opening minutes.

Rangers were made to pay moments later when Kyle McKane headed in from a cross, and just before the break, Michael Brown doubled the lead when he turned in a Ryan Burke cross.

Young lead the Killen fightback after firing home from the edge of the box following an assist from Tristan Roberts before Gerard Duddy converted at the near post to level matters.

Then came Flanagan's audacious effort that landed inside the post and gave Killen their premier win of the season.

Champions Strathroy dropped their first points of the year after being held 1-1 at Irvinestown Wanderers.

Despite missing the services of key men Darren Teague and Aidy McCaffrey, Harps took the lead through a penalty from Tony Quinn when Wanderers defender Conor McGuigan was judged to have handled in the box. Benny Boyle went close for the visitors with a header, while Wanderers' Sean Cassidy had an effort kept out by Niall McCrory before Stephen Sheridan hit the post from a free kick.

Irvinestown's equaliser came thanks to moment of brilliance from Liam Murphy, who chipped McCrory from wide on the right wing with a fine left foot lob.

Into the second half and Patrick Nugent, Boyle and Quinn all had opportunities to regain the lead, but none could hit the target. In the final moments, Wanderers nearly claimed the three points in spectacular fashion only for Gary Maguire's 30 yard drive to crash off Harps' cross-bar.

Tummery are still searching for that first win after shipping five goals in an away defeat to NFC Kesh, with Kerr (two), Cashel, Morris and McCauley getting the goals for the home side.

Elswhere, Enniskillen Rangers took their place at the top of the table with a 5-0 win at Lisnaskea Rovers, Jason Keenan grabbing a hat-trick with Mark Cutler and Andrew Johnston supplying the other goals.

Lisbellaw United also registered a win when Gareth Carrothers, David Little and Niall Keenan all scoring to give them a 3-1 win over Enniskillen Town United.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete