Scoring spree sees Trillick through

Thursday, 14 September 2017

TRILLICK went on a scoring spree at Healy Park as they mercilessly put Strabane to the sword in a one-sided Donnelly Vauxhall Tyrone SFC first round tie.
The Reds dismantled a packed defensive system to chalk up a big 20 points win and set up a quarter-final clash with Coalisland.
Teenager James Garrity fired in two goals and Rory Brennan also hit the net as the 2015 champions sent out a message that they are on the hunt for the O'Neill Cup once again.
For Strabane, it's a case of picking up the pieces and getting prepared for a relegation play-off against Urney as they bid to salvage something from a difficult season.
“First round games are notoriously nervous affairs. Everybody is keyed up to do their best, and there's nerves, but I thought the game settled down into a pattern after about the ten or fifteen minute mark," said Trillick manager Nigel Seaney.
“Areas of our game need to improve, but all in all, I was satisfied with what I saw,
“They had a couple of very good players that needed close watching, and I thought we were well set up for that, we coped quite well with the threat they had."
And he paid tribute to newcomer James Garrity, who marked his championship debut with a classy double strike.
“He's a good young player, he has a lot of potential. He deserved his place, he has been playing well in training and working very hard in training."
Strabane went in front through Michael Etherson, but they were soon on the back foot and defending in numbers as the Reds took the game confidently to them.
Trillick had to be patient at times as they sought to find openings in a packed rearguard, but they did so admirably, and soon the scores were coming on a regular basis.
After Lee Brennan had opened their account from a free, midfielder Ryan Gray landed a stylish point, and when Niall Gormley sent Daire Gallagher through for a score, they looked to be firmly in control.
Ruairi Gormley sent over a Sigersons point, but that was cancelled out by another volley of scores, with Brenna and James Garrity on target for the men from Donnelly Park.
By the end of the opening quarter, they led by 0-5 to 0-2, and Strabane were showing no signs of having the penetration they needed to make a game of it.
Ruairi McElroy, Warner Mullan and Ryan O'Kane worked hard for the Sigersons, and a Mullan free narrowed the gap.
Once again, Trillick's patient and composed approach, with Mattie Donnelly probing from deep, paid off when Gray went in for his second score.
And in the 21st minute, Donnelly burst through to send teenager Garrity in for a low finish to the net.
Another Mullan free lifted the siege, but only temporarily, for Trillick finished the half with another flourish, Lee Brennan, Niall Donnelly and Richie Donnelly, with a superb effort, adding further points.
Centre back Rory Brennan smashed a shot against the crossbar as the pressure continued, and at the break, Trillick were firmly in control, ahead by 1-9 to 0-4.
Lee Brennan and Mullan traded frees in the early stages of the second half, but Garrity almost had a second goal, but just failed to connect with Mattie Donnelly's assist.
There was no sign of a dramatic turnaround in Strabane's fortunes, and their defence continued to come under pressure, with Mattie Donnelly striding through for a trademark point.
Lee Brennan added a couple more to his tally, and had a hand in his side's second goal, rifled to the roof of the net by brother Rory in the 43rd minute. Now they led by 2-13 to 0-5, and this game was over as a contest.
Mark McAdams and William McCauley battled bravely at the back for the Sigersons, but gaps were opening up more frequently, and Trillick continued to prosper in front of the posts.
Daire Gallagher danced through for a superb solo point and four minutes from the end, Garrity capped a triumphant championship debut with his second goal, finished brilliantly to the bottom corner of the net.
Trillick scorers: James Garrity 2-1, Rory Brennan 1-0, Lee Brennan 0-8 (6 frees), Ryan Gray, Daire Gallagher, Mattie Donnelly 0-2 each, Richie Donnelly, Niall Donnelly 0-1 each.
Strabane scorers: Warner Mullan 0-4 (4 frees), Michael Etherson, Ruairi Gormley 0-1 each.
Trillick: Joe Maguire; Gary McKenna, Ruairi Kelly, Damian Kelly; Niall Donnelly, Rory Brennan, Stephen O'Donnell; Richie Donnelly, Ryan Gray; Mattie Donnelly, Daire Gallagher, Daniel McDonnell; Niall Gormley, Lee Brennan, James Garrity.
Subs: Fergal Donnelly for N Donnelly, Philip McGrade for Gormley, Darragh McQuaid for O'Donnell, Gavin McCarron for McKenna, Kevin Brogan for D Kelly.
Strabane: James O'Reilly; Mattie Campbell, Mark McAdams, William McCauley; Ruairi McElroy, Se Doherty, Aodhan Devine; Ruairi Gormley, Haydn McNamee; Ryan O'Kane, Warner Mullan, Kyle Morrison; Marc Devine, John McLaughlin, Michael Etherson.
Sub: Sean Doherty for Campbell
Referee: Martin Conroy (Moy).


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete